Volunteer Gate Ambassador Group Guidelines
- Group must be a not-for-profit organization.
- Members volunteering at the sand sculpting entrance must be 18 years or older.
- Volunteers should be comfortable standing for 4-hours. If some of your members have trouble standing, the counter position does allow for someone to be seated or you are welcome to schedule replacements throughout your 4-hour shift.
- It would be helpful if your volunteers are familiar with Parksville and the surrounding area in order to aid our visitors who are not from the Oceanside area. As well, volunteers should be willing to learn about the Beach Festival Society and our event.
- In order to be considered, groups must complete an application form and submit it prior to the March 31, 2020 deadline.
- Groups are responsible for filling all of their assigned volunteer shifts from their own membership or from friends/family. The group may break the 4-hour shift into 2-hour increments for the benefit of their volunteers, but there must be SIX people on site at all times during the group's shift. You may bring a 7th optional floater if you wish. Failure to have the required number of volunteers could result in a reduction in the funding to your organization and will impact future consideration for your involvement.
- Groups may advertise their organization by wearing apparel that promotes the group and/or by having printed materials on hand on the tables at the Beach Festival entrance. Groups may advertise upcoming events but please refrain from selling event and raffles tickets at the sand sculpting site. Groups will be wearing aprons to signify that they are Beach Festival volunteers.
- Once accepted, groups should select one member ("the Captain") who will serve as the liaison for the group and who will be the primary contact with the Beach Festival's Volunteer Coordinator. We will be having a Captain's meeting for orientation and exchange of ideas with the Beach Festival and other volunteer groups. Captains are to ensure their volunteers understand the responsibilities of participation and be the conduit of information between the Beach Festival and their organization.
- The money raised is for the enrichment of the greater community, so groups must use their funds for community benefit only. The money is not to be used for any type of administrative, maintenance or office expenses, including salaries, debt reduction or site upgrades.
- Each organization will share in a percentage of the gate proceeds from the Sand Sculpting Exhibition based on the number of hours/shifts their volunteers contributed.
- There are 3 x 4-hr shifts available per day spread out over 38 days. When applying, groups will be able to select the number of shifts they prefer to help with and the Beach Festival will try to accommodate.
- Please note there will be a separate meeting scheduled with the Souvenir Director for those volunteers who will be selling souvenirs. Date and time to be confirmed.
- When selecting Gate Ambassadors, the Beach Festival Society assesses the impact/contribution that the volunteer organization has on the community, the ability of the group to follow the above guidelines and a group's past track record volunteering at the sand sculpting entrance.
Volunteer Group Application Form
* Required Fields