Media Release - July 15, 2019
2019 Opening Weekend ResultsIt was a legendary weekend for the 2019 Quality Foods Sand Sculpting Competition in Parksville, with strong attendance over a three day period, July 12-14. Close to 10,000 visitors witnessed international master sculptors carving sand to the theme of "Myths & Legends". Twenty-nine (29) competitors were allotted 30 hours to convert 255 yards of sand into astounding sculptures. Parksville Beach Festival Society awarded a total of $43,350 to sculptors Sunday evening with further prizes to be awarded at the end of the exhibition. The results of the competition are below.
- 5th Place: Melineige Beauregard, St. Hippolyte, Quebec; Sculpture Entitled: "Creation of the Abenakis Nation"
- 4th Place: Yoshiko Matsugi, Japan; Sculpture Entitled: "The Dream Comes True"
- 3rd Place: Karen Jean Fralich; Burlington, Ontario; Sculpture Entitled: "Royal Guardian"
- 2nd Place: Enguerrand "Mac" David, Belgium; Sculpture Entitled: "Pinocchio on Vacation at Okanagan Lake"
- 1st Place: Ilya Filimontsev, Russia; Sculpture Entitled: "Icarus"
- 3rd Place: Wilfred Stijger & Edith van de Wetering; Pieterburen, Netherlands Sculpture Entitled: "Don't Fly too High"
- 2nd Place: Dmitry Klimenko, Russia & Sue McGrew, USA Sculpture Entitled: "Popcorn for the People"
- 1st Place: Jacinthe Trudel & Jonathan Bouchard, St. Calixte, Quebec Sculpture Entitled: "Believe"
- Soloist: Marielle Heessels, Netherlands; Sculpture Entitled: "Enough"
- Doubles: Dmitry Klimenko, Russia & Sue McGrew, USA; Sculpture Entitled: "Popcorn for the People"
~~ 30 ~~
President Beach Festival Society