2017 Quality Foods Sand Sculpting Competition
Over the past 35 years the Quality Foods Sand Sculpting Competition has attracted visitors from all over the world, and we're expecting an awesome turnout again this year!
Good luck, have fun and see you on the beach!!!
- Date of the competition is July 13 - July 16, 2017. The exhibition is open to the public from Friday, July 14 at 2 pm until Sunday, August 20 at 9 pm.
- The event will be held at Parksville Community Park - 193 Island Hwy. East on the Beach in Parksville, BC.
- Prize Money 2017 (in Canadian $'s)
|Competitor's Choice Awards||$250.00||$500.00|
|People's Choice Awards||$250.00||$500.00|
- We will offer soloists and doubles a $1,000 CDN appearance fee PER PERSON, if not placing in the top 3 (teams) or 5 (soloists).
- Plots will be pre-assigned, but you will be able to provide your top 3 choices.
- The theme for 2017 is "Canada One Five '0 - Celebrating 150 Years". Please ensure your sculpture is created with this theme in mind.
- On Thursday, July 13th, pound up will take place from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm with a 45 minute break - lunch will be supplied. You may begin carving on Thursday once your pound up is complete. You may also pound up on Friday if needed.
- Plots are competitor-only zones. Only registered competitors may participate in the construction process. Soloists may use a helper to assist with the assembly and removal of the forms, but helpers may not help fill the forms or assist in pounding. Forms can be placed and left in the plot prior to start. It is suggested that you arrive early enough on Wednesday that you can pick up your forms and leave them in your plot so they are ready for Thursday morning.
- Competition time is 30 hours -Thursday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm with a 45 min lunch break, Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm with a 45 min lunch break, Saturday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm with a 45 min lunch break and Sunday 8:00 am - 3:00 pm with a 45 min lunch break. All breaks are timed and must be taken. Work must stop at the break horns and final horn.
- There will be a Meet and Greet reception on Friday July14th from 6-8 PM at the Quality Resort Bayside. We request that all competitors attend. Our sponsors will also be attending this event.
- Most meals will be provided during the competition for all participating sculptors. If you have any dietary restrictions please let us know on your registration form.
- Doubles will receive 15 yards of sand with a 20' x 20' plot size. Soloists will receive 10 yards of sand with a 12' x 15' plot size. Materials are the sand within the plot and water available on site. No non-beach decorative material, artificial colours, paints, flour, sugar, cement or adhesives are permitted. Water will be plumbed in to the site so water will be available with hoses instead of having to fill troughs.
- We have some forms from previous years that will be available on a first come, first served basis, as well as flex forms. It is recommended that you order your forms ahead of time so that the forms and/or the wood are ready for you. You may also provide your own forms.
- You will be supplied with weather screens to protect your sculpture after you have finished carving particular elements and as you proceed from the top down. Sculptors are allowed in the plot to spray at any time, and your entire sculpture must be sprayed (unless rain makes spraying impossible) before you can qualify for prizes or any financial award.
- No power equipment or machinery is allowed in the plot. Cordless screw guns, etc, may only be used outside the plot.
- Any advertising displayed by competitors must be pre-approved by the Parksville Beach Festival Society. No personal marketing or sponsorship signage will be permitted.
- You must carve the title of your piece in the sand before judging to be eligible for prize money, expense money etc. Paper or wooden signs will not be acceptable.
- We encourage you to bring a laminated piece of paper with your name on it and some info about your sculpture so that the public can see what you are building during the weekend. This will be replaced by your head shot and bio on Monday, July 17.
- Judging will be from 3-5 pm on Sunday, July 16th and awards will be handed out at approximately 5:30 pm. All judges' decisions will be final.
- Please keep your plots clean and free of litter.
- We request that you bring flags so that they can be flown during the event. If you do not have a pole please let us know and we will arrange one for you.
- Please send in your shirt size, head shot and bio so we can create signage and let the media know who will be attending this year's event.
- Competitors are responsible for bringing their own sculpting tools and plastic, should you wish to cover up your sculpture overnight in case of foul weather. Shovels, hammers, crow bars and rakes will be available.
- We will be booking accommodation for you and will pair you with another sculptor. We will let you know where you are staying. Failure to confirm may result in NO rooms available to you. If you decide to book your own room you will be responsible for payment. Please let us know if you are booking your own room.
- The Parksville Beach Festival Society will pay for your travel costs. Please submit your application outlining your travel costs. We strongly suggest that you make ferry reservations to and from the event, since this is a very busy time for the BC Ferries. If you are flying in, we suggest that you book in advance and book economy class airfare. No others will be considered. All funds are in Canadian currency and subject to completion of your piece.
- You MUST have your receipts in by the end of August or you will NOT be reimbursed. The sooner you hand in your original receipts the quicker you will receive your reimbursement.
- Please link the Parksville Beach Festival to your web site http://www.parksvillebeachfest.ca/
- If you have any other questions please email the Event Manager, Wendy Sears at email@example.com.