2013 Quality Foods Canadian Open Sand Sculpting Competition
Over the last 13 years the QF Canadian Open Sand Sculpting Competition has attracted almost 900,000 visitors from all over the world, and we're expecting an awesome turnout again this year!
- Date of the competition is July 12 - July 14, 2013. Exhibition is open to the public from Sat, July 13 at 2 pm until Sunday, August 18 at 9 pm.
- The event will be held at Parksville Community Park - 193 Island Hwy. East on the Beach in Parksville, BC.
Prize Money 2013
|Competitor's Choice Awards
|People's Choice Awards
Good luck, have fun and see you on the beach!!!
- Registration fees will be $40 pp. Registration fees are non-refundable.
- We will offer soloists and doubles a $1,000 appearance fee PER PERSON, if not placing in the top 3 (teams) or 5 (soloists).
- Plots will be pre-assigned, but you will be able to request specific plots once your registration fee is received.
- The theme for 2013 is Fairy Tales! Please ensure your sculpture is created with this theme in mind.
- On Friday July 12th, pound up will take place from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm with a 1/2 hour break - lunch will be supplied. This will allow you to fill your water pails, troughs and assemble forms. This will be part of the competition, POUND UP ONLY. Any carving done on Friday will be automatically disqualified. You may pound up on Saturday if needed.
- Plots are competitor-only zones. Only registered competitors may participate in the construction process. Soloists may use a helper to assist with the assembly and removal of the forms, but helpers may not help fill the forms or assist in pounding. Forms can be placed and left in the plot prior to start.
- Competition time is 24 hours - Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm with a 1/2 hour lunch break, Saturday 7:30 am - 5:30 pm with a 1/2 hour lunch break and Sunday 7:30 am - 3:00 pm with a 1/2 hour lunch break. All breaks are timed and must be taken. Construction must stop at the break horns and final horn.
- There will be a Meet and Greet reception on Friday July12th from 6 - 8 PM. Location is to be determined. We request that all competitors attend. Our sponsors will also be attending this event.
- Most meals will be provided during the competition for all participating sculptors. If you have any dietary special request please let us know on your registration form.
- Doubles will receive 15 yds of sand with a 20' x 20' plot size. Soloists will receive 10 yds of sand with a 12' x 15' plot size. Materials are the sand within the plot and water available on site. No non-beach decorative material, artificial colours, paints, flour, sugar, cement or adhesives permitted.
- We have some forms from previous years that will be available on a first come, first served basis. However, if you're a sculptor who has flown in who needs forms we will supply the wood, you build the forms and then we will keep the forms for you for the next year. We will supply you with bird wires. No templates or sculptured forms of any kind may be used.
- No water hoses are to be used during the competition to wet the sand in the plot. Running hoses may be used inside the plot only to fill your buckets and troughs. If you are hand packing you may spray down your sand pile ONLY on the Friday.
- You will be supplied with weather screen to protect your sculpture after you have finished carving particular elements and as you proceed from the top down. Sculptors are allowed in the plot to spray at any time, and your entire sculpture must be sprayed (unless rain makes spraying impossible) before you can qualify for prizes or any financial award.
- No power equipment or machinery is allowed in the plot. Cordless screw guns, etc, may only be used outside the plot.
- Any advertising displayed by competitors must be pre-approved by the Parksville Beach Festival Committee. No personal marketing or sponsorship signage will be permitted.
- You must carve the title of your piece in the sand before judging to be eligible for prize money, expense money etc. Paper or wooden signs will not be acceptable.
- Judging criteria will be emailed to you in advance so you know what the judges are looking for.
- Judging will be from 3:15pm - 4:45pm on Sunday, July 14th and awards will be handed out at approximately 5:30 pm. . All judges' decisions will be final.
- Please keep your plots clean and free of litter.
- We request that you bring flags so that they can be flown during the event. If you do not have any poles please let us know 250-951-2678 and we will arrange one for you.
- Please send in your shirt size, head shot and bio so we can create signage and let the media know who will be attending this year's event.
- The Parksville Beach Festival board of directors will be setting a theme for 2013. The theme will be announced in early Feb.
- Competitors are responsible for bringing their own sculpting tools and plastic, should you wish to cover up your sculpture overnight in case of foul weather. Water troughs will be provided. Shovels and rakes are in limited supply.
- We will be booking your hotel rooms for you and will pair you with another sculptor. We will let you know where you are staying. Failure to confirm may result in NO rooms available to you. If you decide to book your own room you will be responsible for payment. Please let us know if you are booking your own room.
- The Parksville Beach Festival will pay for your travel costs. Please submit your application outlining your travel costs. We strongly suggest that you make ferry reservations to and from the event, since this is a very busy time for the BC Ferry Corporation. If you are flying in, we suggest that you book in advance and book economy class airfare. No others will be considered. All funds are in Canadian currency and subject to completion of your piece.
- You MUST have your receipts in by the end of September or you will NOT be reimbursed. The sooner you hand in your original receipts the quicker you will receive your reimbursement.
- Please link the Parksville Beach Festival to your web site http://www.parksvillebeachfest.ca/
- If you have any other questions please email the Event Manager, Trish Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org